Finally I got the energy to publish this project. Quite impressive even after 10 years: 1000 people, 4 years, 100+ coaches. Unfortunately we did not know Agile back then, adding the technology and process perspectives would have made it a revolution. I hope you find this as an encouraging example.
- Long term
- Intensive co-work of the internal owner and the external consultant
- Own your own change – tailor the approach in a core team
- Work with individual, group and organizational levels
- Empowerment – reflection and freedom of choice. And coahcing support.
- A tailored training program for change agents
- Experiential learning sticks
- Adapt – work in the speed of the organization
Following is the abstract, 9 pages is downloadable at aritikka.com.
This report describes a large successful case of a goal oriented managed change, based on empowerment and reflection. The organizational culture and emergent nature of the change were respected by a continuously adaptive approach.
Significant improvement was reported in the atmosphere and work of teams, departments and leadership teams, and from personal perspectives.
Lately retrospectives have become popular as the reflective learning practice along the Agile SW development movement. I hope this report encourages to invest in a learning culture, let it be called Kaizen, learning organization or retrospectives.
The organization in question was Switching Platforms, Nokia Networks,about 1000 people in matrix organization, developing a distributed operating system for telecom switches. The change program was initiated bottom-up and sponsored by the strong management team of the SWP.
The program continuously adapted to the real conditions and capability. It was continuing to add value from 1998 to 2002 until ended with a radical organizational change. The following was achieved:
- An adaptive organization-wide development process lasting for 4 years
- A tailored approach, fit to the organization and situation, including tools, communication
- material, coach pool and the structure to lead and develop the change.
- A tailored training program for change agents/coaches. It was based on experiential learning, and eventually became a leadership training.
- 11 groups of 12 participants in the basic training of 1+2+2+1 days. Value for oneself 5.6/6, value for own development project 5/6.
- 3 groups of 8 people in the advanced training program of 1+2+1+2+1 days
- 3 internal coaches of coaches consulted the managers, facilitated workshops and supported the team level local development projects
- 150 recorded local projects, covering about 75% or the organization
- Coach network with meetings, reading circle, peer consultation
- Clear change in the culture, knowledge, personal growth, change resilience
Kati Vilkki main organizer and coach, Soile Aho consultant, Ari Tikka coach, Antti Heimonen, Seppo Taanila, Aila Laisi, Lauri Närhi, Leea afHeurlin, Kirsi Lagus, Jyrki Innanen, Sami Lilja, Raija Tamminen and dozens of other activists. Please notify me when you wish to have your name here.